Thursday, August 6, 2009

What Happened To My First Love?

My parents took my sister and I to the United Methodist church while we were children. It was important to them that we were exposed to God and moral teaching. I don't remember much about those years other than playing Joseph in the Christmas play every year, not looking forward to Vacation Bible School (it was because school was in the title and summer you were not supposed to go to school), a few youth group trips and finally my meetings with the Pastor and subsequent baptism (age 12). After my baptism the Pastor said something to me, that shortly led to my leaving the church altogether. He told me that because of my baptism I would no longer sin again. In retrospect I now know what he meant by that, but then I realized those words were not true as I understood them then because I soon sinned again. Little did he realize those words caused me to leave the church and forget about Christ. I thought I had been lied to, so I wanted no part of it anymore.

So while I was in Junior High and High School I never graced the door of a church. My parents reason for going to church was for my sister and I to get a moral teaching. When I quit or no longer wanted to go anymore they quit as well (along with my sister). My parents to date are not interested in religion. They don't want to talk about it only to say they both have made their peace with God, whatever that means. When I started college I got caught up in the party scene and wasted my time there, all the while feeling a tug to return to God, not necessarily Christ but a creator of all. Thus began my TRUE search for meaning of life, why I did the things I did and does God exist as well as whose religion is the true one.

Stay tuned to my next post, this will be handled in different posts because the story is rather long.

No comments:

Post a Comment