Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Crossing the Tiber, Conclusion

I would like to clear up what might be confusion on a time issue in my last post. The time between my leaving Fellowship Baptist and attending my first Mass was 5 years. My first Mass was over a month ago.

Now to rap up my journey to the present. About two years ago, I'm not sure, maybe more, it was when Pope Benedict came to the United States, I began exploring Catholicism. In fact it began after I saw the Pope's outdoor Mass on television when he came to visit. Being Protestant, especially being exposed to the pre-mill. dispensationalist view, I was taught that the Pope was the antichrist and that the Catholic church was the beast. What I saw in Pope Benedict was not an antichrist, but a sincere loving committed Christian. Now for you Protestants out there who would then throw up the Scripture "the devil can be disguised as an angel of light" or the saying "beware of wolves in sheep's clothing" as an excuse to watch out and not be deceived need to swallow your words...they don't apply here. Have you heard the man speak or read any of his writings!? This man does not demand worship, he is not setting himself up as a christ. Besides all of this is moot because John already said antichrist's were present in his day and dispensationalists are misguided anyway with their eschatology. But I digress once again.

Now back to the story. For the past two years I have read and researched anything I could get my hands on to disprove my sudden longing for the Catholic Church. Because I had been indoctrinated (not educated) against the Catholic Church for so long it made me nervous to be exploring it. I had to throw out my preconceived ideas and go at it with a blank slate. Could Roman Catholicism stand on it's own and could it actually be the Church Christ founded when he "gave the keys" to Peter? Is this the true church of God? And if so, should I become a member? These questions I set out to answer.

A college buddy of mine who is Catholic (who has been very helpful in my journey) suggested I read Scott Hahn's book "Rome Sweet Home" which I did. Reading Scott's book and viewing Mass on EWTN helped tremendously in understanding what Catholics believe and really do. Another book by David Currie, "Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic" filled in the spots Scott Hahn's book did not address. After completing those books the veil began to come off my face and the scales came off my eyes. I began living as a Catholic, before ever attending a Mass. Finally I could stand it no longer. I had to make the move. The burden of not acting would not go away so I called my local parish priest and we met. He was very warm and kind. I told him what I had been reading and where I stood. He told me the first thing I should do is come to Mass and see. I haven't looked back since. I continue to go to Mass longing for the day I can receive my first love again at His table!

This concludes this series, which is just a general overview, of Crossing the Tiber. More to follow in different titles on my current spiritual journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment