Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What Happened To My First Love? Conclusion

So after my baptism in the Worldwide Church of God I became invovled with the stuff of church. I found myself more concerned with doing the right "church stuff" that Jesus became a second issue. I no longer talked with Him like I did before. Maybe it was because I was now going to church and felt I had now been baptized correctly that I didn't need Him anymore.

After 12 years of WCG stuff and the changes that occured (see posting on Crossing the Tiber) I left the WCG. I and my wife (now ex-wife, that's another issue) and children began to look for another church. This wasn't easy because my wife grew up in the WCG, I didn't. She stayed at the WCG for two more years while I stayed at home. Finally she left and we began looking for a church that we could agree on. Once we did I became involved, but she didn't. After two years we left and found another church. I became involved, she didn't so she left and I stayed. All this time I was never satisfied. I felt something was missing. Finally I quit going to church too.

A friend of mine from the last church I attended left and formed a bible study group which I began to attend. But something still wasn't adding up. All this time I kept waiting for someone or thing to give me a definite answer on the truth. I became annoyed at all the different scripture interpretations I was hearing. I wanted it to stop. Somewhere there had to be a final authority that said this is what it means and nothing else. Anybody could do that, but there was no authority behind it. Whose authority could I trust. So I decided to go back to the beginning of the Christian church to find who had the authority to say this is it. During this search I found myself being poked from the corner (the corner I put Jesus in, see previous post). Jesus said "I'm over here, remember me? You and I used to be close. I tried to show you where you needed to be, but you left me to do your own church thing. I'm glad you are coming back to me so we can continue our conversation. You are now heading in the right direction, keep on coming, the true Feast is awaiting you."

My first love is back. I can hear his voice again, though it be faint I'm walking and talking to him once more. I long for the day we can be together at his table in the form of the Eucharist. Thanks Jesus for calling me home.

1 comment:

  1. Steven that was beautiful! I so know that feeling! Please someone show me the real authority and don't say "The Bible and Jesus and GOD" and then give me the 1 millionth new version of what they think, say, want us to do, believe, etc.!!!
    As Patrick Madrid said, "Sola Scriptura is a blueprint for anarchy". Would Christ have left HIS bride so confused? Geez...sad!
    See you at RCIA..hope you got my e-mails
    Blessings from your sister,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete