Monday, August 3, 2009

Crossing the Tiber, Part 3

I spent two years at Grace Fellowship. Most of that was spent participating on the worship team as auxilary percussion and Trumpet player. The size of Grace was over 3000 so we had three worship services each Sunday. I had a blast being on the worship team, lots of great musicians and singers. We played all the contemporary Christian hits of the day. But the church was just so big. It was hard to really meet people. My only friends were worship team members and since I was "the new guy" breaking into their clique was difficult. The preaching was based on pre-mill dispensational eschatology. Funny...they claimed to be non-denominational, but it really was Baptist.

I decided it was just too big for me and I wasn't really friends with anyone except on a superficial level (they were okay to keep it that way), so I decided to leave and find a smaller church. They worship team leader begged me to stay. I was only a value to them once I told them I was leaving.

My next stop was at Fellowhip Baptist Church. At the time I was a pre-mill dispensationalist and a Baptist church seemed the right fit. I was very involved with this church. I coordinated the worship music and taught College age Sunday school. I should mention at this point that from the WCG to Fellowship Baptist my understanding of eschatology was in flux. I could never come to terms with what I was being taught, especially with respect to pre-mill. dispensationalism. None of it added up with Scripture and seemed very convoluted. The more I studied the more I studied my way out of pre-mill. dispensationalism and more to the amill. position.

More to follow...

3 comments:

  1. Hey Steven,
    I left a note for you under your comment on my blog. I hated missing Mass and RCIA this past week. Have you read any of Scott's "The Lamb's Supper" yet? I bet RCIA was better without me talking and talking! Mark said I need to go on the retreat to Maggie Valley where silence is emphasized. I really seriously would like to go.

    I want to know more about these experiences of faith you had before arriving at St. Anne's and the true faith. I have a ton of questions for you. Do you mind if I link to your blog?

    Maybe that way I won't have to talk as much in RCIA :-)

    Blessings,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still reading "The Lamb's Supper" in between some other things. Feel free to ask whatever you like, I'd be delighted. Go ahead and link to my blog if you wish. There is so much more I have glossed over in my first 3 posts that I plan to get to as things unfold. Hope you are doing better.

    Your Brother in Christ,
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! You may get some traffic that comes my way to try to talk me out of "apostacy".

    Just pray for me to be charitable. I've been clubbed about the head by so many with "their version" of what the Bible says, that sometimes I lose patience!
    Not a good thing for being a godly woman of charity. Plus, being sick doesn't help a bit

    Your Sister in HIM,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete