Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Crossing the Tiber, Part 4

While at Fellowship Baptist a new family came and began attending. One of my college students knew them and said I should get to know (my best friend) Greg. He said Greg was a Preterist and that a lot of my views Greg held to. Needless to say we became fast friends. Greg hosts a family Bible study which has become a rather large gathering of friends and family. So I began to attend. Greg convinced me through the Scripture the validity of his position on eschatology. I being amill. at the time my pump was primed to understand the Preterist position, which is almost the same as the Catholic position (the Catholic Church is amill. or what some would call Part-Preterist). I hold to the Catholic understanding because the full Preterist standing denies a future return of Christ and I'm not sure that portion of Preterism is true.

Greg and I are still best friends, but he doesn't want me to become Catholic. He is using the same tired excuses that most Protestants are ignorant of, such as "we worship Mary" or "we believe that the bread and wine really become the body and blood of Jesus" (which by the way is a straw man since Scripture doesn't say that it isn't), or "we believe that Tradition and Scripture are treated the same"...hello! Who was it that compiled the Scripture and chose the Scripture in the first place! There is a tiny Scripture they just don't want to take into account, Matthew 16:19 which states, Christ is speaking here to Peter, and in another response to all the disciples "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." (NIV) That verse puts all the Catholic teaching in it's place since it is a direct line from Peter. Besides Sacred Tradition was the gospels, letters and Apocalypse BEFORE it was canonized! Don't even get me started about the infallibility of the Pope (another misunderstood concept of Protestants). Nothing burns me more than people speaking about things they have no first hand knowledge of, but I digress.

Oh one more thing, you Protestants who are SO against Sacred Tradition tell me...how is Sacred Tradition any different than listening to your pastor every week who renders his own opinion about the Scriptures? Just another straw man.

Now back to my story. I found it hard to continue with Fellowship Baptist since it taught against my eschatological stance AND was extremely Calvinist, so I left and only continued to go to Greg's bible study. But before too long Greg began teaching things that I could not come to grasp with. All this time between leaving Fellowship and my first Mass (over a month ago) I began searching for an end to all things. I was tired of all the various opinions people put forth about their interpretation of Scripture. I wanted a stone that said this is what it means and nothing else. I needed the boundary. I needed a Rock. So I began my journey to find that Rock that said this is as far as it goes, rest in it. Also this Rock had to be authoritative straight from Christ himself! Where did it start? With the Roman Catholic Church...that's where! More to come, stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. I love this, Steven!!! That is why it is so great to have your blog (and maybe my blog if I can be charitable) to say what we have held in so long! Of course, it is great because I can read your "blog thoughts" and comment and I don't spend precious time being a chatterbox at RCIA class! Did you tell Mark we have new members?
    Also, as we both said before, "Give me the boundary, the fence, the markers, the once for all faith...please!" Christ could not have left this mess called be your own "god" by your own interpretation of the Bible.
    Doesn't anyone realize that if that were the case, what would Christianity look like if it were even still around? The Reformation has produced 10s of thousands of denominations so far and more everyday in not quite 500 years!

    That is a perfect picture of a sheep wandering around without a shepherd for sure!

    Blessings,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm new to this blog thing. You said people have given you a hard time with some of thier comments. How do people know about our blogs? Do you advertise or use a gadget or something, or is it strictly people stumbling onto it and then become interested?

    I know what you mean about a line drawn in the sand so to speak. Give me the one and only truth! It cannot be any other than the founding church of Jesus Christ. Now I know where I stand and I can in the words of Paul to the Phillipians "work out my own salvation with fear and trembling." It feels good to finally be at home. Oh...and yes there were about 7 new ones last week at RCIA.

    Peace, hope to see you and Mark at RCIA.
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steven,

    I'm going to have to subscribe to your blog by e-mail because I don't check everywhere to see if I've been left a comment on blogs

    I'll tell you how I get blog traffic if you want...but you may want to just have Catholic encouragers!

    We will see you at RCIA...I'll be quiet because I'm just getting over being sick.
    If you have a chance, I have Dr. Hahn on my blog in youtube video speaking. He's great!

    Do you want me to bring your book back now? It's so nice I'm afraid I'll mess it up!

    Blessings,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete