Monday, August 10, 2009

What Happened To My First Love? Part 3

The name of the TV program was "The World Tomorrow." It was put on by the Worldwide Church of God. What intrigued me most was their willingness to offer a subscription to their monthly magazine, "The Plain Truth" and booklets elaborating the subject covered by the program FREE of charge. At that time no religious organization on TV offered anything for free. This was also during the time televangelists were in trouble like the PTL club, Jimmy Swaggart and all the others. So the WCG to me was honest and upfront. So I subscribed to their magazine and ordered their booklets. I devoured them. I couldn't get enough. I even purchased a study bible. I devoured the Bible. I couldn't get enough. My walk with Christ was rekindled from my teen days (see previous posts).

I repented, stopped the partying and buckled down with my college studies and graduated. I walked from my apartment each day to campus and back again talking to Jesus, or listening to the word on my Sony Walkman (remember those?). Christ had never left me. That's why I couldn't stay a Hindu or a muslim or an atheist. The Holy Spirit was there the whole time. Soon I became aware through my reading of WCG literature that I really didn't have the Holy Spirit (because at that time I didn't know I still had him), according to WCG I had been baptized incorrectly (I was poured in the Methodist Church, see previous posts) and I needed to be rebaptized (according to them I had to be fully immersed and have hands laid on me to receive the Holy Spirit) so I sought out a WCG minister. One contacted me and we met. I was so excited. Soon I would be baptized and I could begin going to the local congregation of the WCG. Little did I know at that time I was on the road to losing my first love...Jesus.

Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment